Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Words matter

Careful what you preach…the things that we teach and that we say will come back to hold us accountable. I have a friend that talks about something that I often teach: we don’t grow in our comfort zones. Evidently it made an impact because she has said it often. I am someone who has often been called out of her comfort zones and challenged to break the mold. Well, this mantra strikes me funny, not ha ha, lately. I came into this year knowing that I was supposed to write a book, didn’t necessarily know what kind of book, just a book. So, I started saying it out loud, to actual people. Well when you tell people that you are writing a book it seems to have several automatic follow-up questions: What kind of book? What’s it about? Have you always wanted to write? How long have you been working on it? When are you going to be finished? I didn’t really have that kind of info, I just knew that I was stepping out of (not away from) my comfy small group leader role and announcing that I was writing a book, ill-prepared for the follow-up questions.
For me just saying that I am writing a book is nerve wracking! I do actually have answers to some of those questions now. But still way out of my depth. Anyone who thinks being a Christian is boring has never met my Lord. He is never-changing and all-knowing but that does not mean that my walk is dull or narrow or monotonous. The boldness required to announce that I am writing a book seems to only be the tip of the iceberg for what is actually in store. When my friend challenged us with making vision boards for the year I was really surprised by the theme.
It is funny, not ha ha, to me how often and how subtly fear can ooze its way back into our lives. One of the ways is through our comfort zones. Even when what we consider comfort zones appear bold to others. The Bible mentions some form of do not fear or be courageous over 365 times. With that kind of pattern, I assume it’s almost normal for us to be prone to fear. I was recently challenged by a quote that really grabbed me in this season: ‘failure will always feel better than regret’ Jess Ekstrom. I want to strike out and fail more often than sitting around worried about what could have been. Does it matter that I’ve never desired to write a book? Does it matter that I have no idea how to get my book into hands and in front of people? Does it matter that the fear of succeeding and having to talk in front of people is almost more daunting than writing a book I’m not sure I want to write? One of my favorite quotes of all times and I have no idea where I heard it 1st: ‘delayed obedience is disobedience’. I must write simply because I know that I have been told to write, the outcome is not really my problem or my current concern.
#carefulwhatyoupreach #journeywithme #journeyingtogether #titustwojourney

No comments:

Post a Comment