Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Perfect in my weakness

My peeps have been drooling and begging for cookies. I found the time today to make their wish come true. However, today this act of love is hitting me fully in the face. I love to bake and as a general rule it doesn’t bother me at all to have goodies around. But today! Today my weakness is showing. I make great chocolate chip cookies. You see I stopped eating flour 3.5 years ago. And it has been quite the miracle. I mean I was a major bread lover. Growing up in Germany where the truck delivered fresh and aromatic bread through the neighborhood developed quite the craving and weakness in me. I like to make bread. I like to eat bread. And I really like the smell of fresh bread. But with my health problems, cutting these 2 inflammation causing ingredients out of my diet became necessary. The miraculous part is: that I have been able to do it and do not feel as though I am missing out on life’s greatest treats.
I haven’t really replaced these 2 ingredients with other things. I eat different kinds of foods now than I did then. But I didn’t get on a gluten-free diet. I still don’t use artificial sweeteners. I have learned to enjoy dark chocolate. And as a general rule I am quite content with my new diet. I can be at a social gatherings and find that it bothers others way more than me when they see me not eating flour or sugar foods.
But! Today it’s rainy and we haven’t worked all week. It’s tax season. Outside forces/struggles seem to be stronger than normal. Isn’t it just like the enemy to go after the weakened sheep? Are there things in your life that you have given up and have come back around to bite you? God has used (among other things) eliminating these 2 things to develop self-discipline deep within me. It is also fruit of the Holy Spririt.
Galatians 5:22-23 New International Version (NIV) 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
2 Timothy 1:7 New International Version (NIV)   7 For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.

What are some ways that you build your resolve against temptation? Today, I am writing this blog instead of standing in the kitchen eating the very yummy smelling cookies. But some days it involves taking a walk, pulling out my journal, getting on my knees, eating a piece of gum or fruit (dried pineapple is my favorite).
#realtalk #journeyingtogether #journeywithme #titustwojourney #perfectinmyweakness

No comments:

Post a Comment